Monday, September 17, 2007

Eventful weekend

I stayed in Granada this weekend and ended up doing many things. Friday and Saturday night I went out for tapas which is always lots of fun. Saturday morning I went to Sacromonte with Maria, Karen, and Jenny. Essentially what we did was walk around for 2 hours on a big hill. We walked to the top of one hill to see a church and there just happened to be a wedding going on. Anyone can just go into the church so I took a picture but it is kind of fuzzy. Sacromonte is also where the gypsies live and they mostly live in caves. After walking around and lunch, there was a festival thing for the patron saint of Granada. It seemed like everyone in the city was there and the ceremony was in front of this one church. Everyone buys flowers and lines up to present them and they put them all on the outside of the church. I have pictures of that too. As I said before, that night we went out for tapas and we dressed up a bit too. On Sunday, we went back to the church with the flowers to see it all completed. The smell of it was so powerful and it was really beautiful. Later after lunch, we got together and saw the end of La Vuelta. This is a 23 day bike race throughout Spain and this weekend it happened to end in Granada. I have pictures of this as well as a tribute to Travis but they are blurry. Once that was done, we went down to el parque de Garcia Lorca. It is somewhat near my house but it is nothing like Slater Park back at home. It is smaller and it is mostly dirt. There is grass but you can tell that they have to put much work into it so it is actually green. I guess it is good to have a least a little green some where. That was the end of my weekend so everyone should look at the pictures that I posted.

Words of the day: Pasear - to walk, to go for a walk
Iglesia - church
La boda - wedding
Las flores - flowers
Bicicleta - bicycle
Hierba - grass

No comments: