Thursday, October 25, 2007

Intercambios galore!!

The intercambio with Paco was fun the other night. He is a 35 year old dentist and we went to a tapas bar. I brought Karen with me so I wouldn't be as nervous and I am glad I did because it was a little bit on the awkward side. He was really nice though and I think I will schedule another one with him. I felt bad because he said that usually people do not contact him for intercambios because of his age. Sadly to say, I used to be one of those people. I decided that anyone over 25 would be too old, not that it is really old. I just thought it would be better to talk to someone more my age. I now know differently and I won't care how old the person is any more. During our conversation he stopped to tell me that I need to talk more because that is what I am here for. Up to this point, Karen had headed up most of the conversations and I just nodded and said "vale." He is right though, I am not using this trip to my full advantage. I need to force myself to talk more especially in my classes. I think that is where I will start.

Yesterday while I was in the AIFS office, Pilar, one of the directors, asked me if I was going to the AIFS run intercambio night that night. I had thought it was Thursday so I had not planned to go out last night but I obviously told her yes that I would be going. They arrange it so that there are 7 people from AIFS and 7 Spaniards and they pay for two rounds of tapas. We were all meeting up at 9:30. At about 8:30, it started raining, switching between light rain and down-pours. Because of this, I really did not want to go because as you all might know, I hate the rain and being wet. It makes me "crunky." I grit my teeth though because I did not want to be rude and I am really glad that I did. It was so much fun and the time flew by. I talked in Spanish for pretty much the whole time and the tapas were delicious. I most definitely want to go to that place again and also go to another AIFS intercambio night. I am on the wait list now because they want to make sure that everyone gets a chance to go to one. I think that my name is early on the list so maybe I will be called for next week's or the week's after. I have another intercambio which Karen set up for tonight and I am really looking forward to it. I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

Word of the Day: Vale - ok, right (Only used in Spain)

1 comment:

tjcrewd said...

Is that like speed dating then?