Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Shopping

So today I met with the AIFS group and we toured some kep spots of the city like the post office and the university. Those are possibly the two most important things in the city for me right now. I suppose my apartment is pretty important too so add that to the list. We had a meeting after that where we got our ID cards for the university and other information. All of the girls probably left that meeting scared to death because of all the warnings they gave us such as to always walk with someone at night, don't go in the park during the siesta, always take a taxi after midnight, etc. The horrors! I guess if you think about it though, it would be the same kind of cautions that one would get if visiting the US. It is like this every where. After the meeting, we all went back to our homes and had some lunch. At 4:30 I met up with some friends and we went shopping. I bought some shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, a notebook, and some pens so pretty much all of the essentials.

Word of the day: Ficha - counter, chip

Why it is the WOD:
We went into a bunch of clothing stores too. I tried some things on in one store and when I walked out of the changing room, an employee stopped me and asked, "Donde está tu ficha?" I had no idea what she was talking about and I must have looked pretty dumb. Eventually she realized that I didn't understand and held up one of those number things that they give you before you go into the dressing room. I didn't have one so I told her and apologized. She looked annoyed and I think she might have rolled her eyes. I don't really remember. She let me go on my way but I still feel a little silly about the whole incident. It was not my fault though because when I went in, no one was there to give me a ficha.

I had a long day of shopping and tomorrow is the placement exam so I better get some rest. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

ahhh, you're in spain already?? well good luck and btw, you're our new official international philonycorrespondent. I can give you titles now, because I'm the president.

Anonymous said...

did you buy a bathing suit yet? To bad you did not take the one sitting on top of the dryer.
Mom